Thursday, February 28, 2008

THE EARTH MOVED AND I THOUGHT IT WAS ME

I was sitting quietly reading a newspaper just before 1am yesterday when suddenly the sofa I was sitting on trembled. Absolutely no question about it: trembled. To say I was startled is inaccurate. I thought I might be having a turn, a heart attack, a stroke, or some strange mind-body experience. It only lasted a few seconds and then everything was still and stable again so I went back to my newspaper. Today I read that:

Britain experienced its biggest earthquake for nearly 25 years today - but Londoners were hardly shaken or stirred. The quake, a 5.2 on the Richter scale, struck at 12:56am and lasted ten seconds.

I am disgusted with my self-centered assumption that the tremor came from me rather than from the earth. Obviously the earth was trying to tell me something.

MORE

No comments: