Friday, July 11, 2014

ALL DONE!

All blocks cut and proofed. Now the highly skilled work of fine letterpress printing can begin at the Old Stile Press and later, the collating and binding of the limited edition. To celebrate the completion of my part of this collaborative oeuvre I arranged an impromptu showing a few days ago at The Pineapple, a local pub, whose manager was kind enough to let me use an upstairs room to put all my proofs on the walls (whitetak, not blutak) and invite some friends over to have a drink and see the work.


 Upstairs room at The Pineapple before the guests arrived.

 A few bottles to start with.


The complete dummy of the book with all proofs and text.

And here are proofs of the last blocks I cut, the text roughly pasted in.










Now for a little rest then to start on new work.

13 comments:

marja-leena said...

Oh, wow! Looks great. Congratulations, natalie. Wish I could be there to see it in person and raise a toast to you.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks dear Marja-Leena. This was only a preview. The finished book, whenever it's ready, will be a far more sumptuous and sensorially exciting thing.

Ellena said...

I keep going back to page 40. I am very impressed. Bravo, Natalie.

Tom said...

Well done Natalie! A rest for those aching fingers is necessary, whilst you are still able to hold a glass. "Cheers! To you and your work!"

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Ellena, thanks for being here and having followed this project all the way. Wish you could have been at the pub in 'real time' to celebrate with me.

Tom, yes, the pins and needles in my hands are still active but I'll fool them by switching to paintbrush instead of scalpel. Thank you for your presence and your support.

Anonymous said...

Quite something, this book. It's a shame The Pineapple is a long way from here!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Dominic, yes it is a shame. But if you're ever in London, we can have a drink there. Thanks for the comment.

Hattie said...

It all looks lovely. Wish I could be there!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Come on over, Hattie, you'd be welcome.

Adam said...

I'm booking my flight now! Can I pick it up and stroke it? Books need to be touched and felt, don't they?

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Adam, wait until the book is printed (beautifully)and bound (beautifully) and launched (beautifully). Then come and stroke it. And have a drink with us.

Rouchswalwe said...

Prosting you and this intriguing and mind-tickling and heart moving work from here! Banzai! Banzai! Banzai!

The glass is filled with Duchesse de bourgogne ale!

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks so much Rouchswalve. I've never tasted this ale but I'm getting whiffs of its delicious aroma even now.
Will blog, of course, about the completion of this book whenever that will be.