Monday, February 08, 2016

LOST BABY

If you've read my in-progress on-line autobio, you'll understand why I am startled by today's encounter with this particular book and the particular sentence on the page I opened. The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck, p.206: "Too late she realized she wanted to keep the baby." 

TOO LATE SHE REALIZED SHE WANTED TO KEEP THE BABY 

Now this is really weird,
how could you know these things are seared
in my heart and in my hand
a lost baby, a lost land?

Could this be the fourth dimension
where such deeply buried tensions
are revealed by random choices,
unifying disparate voices?

Mind blank, eyes shut, open a book at any page
and sitting there in a word cage
some kind of message waits for me
its coded meaning to set free.

2 comments:

Vincent said...

Yes, understood. Wow! Beautifully said.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thank you, Vincent. I'm being taught something by a serendipitous (?) process, impossible to pin down but nevertheless as accurate as a champion dart player hitting bull's eyes every time.