Thursday, January 04, 2018

NEW YEAR, RENEWED SOFA

Whew, that was tough but I managed to finish the sofa renewal for New Year's day. Okay it's not perfect but neither am I. It's a bit quirky (me too) and you won't find one like it in the shops (me neither). Cushions will adorn it in due course. Moi aussi, I guess.

When I'd covered all but the seat with the new fabric, I decided I didn't want the whole thing the same colour. Luckily I found exactly the right length of material: a beautiful curtain from a flat I lived in about 20 years ago - the pattern even echoes my new oriental rug. 

It took some deft manipulating and hours of stitching back what I cut off by mistake, but finally it all came together. Trickiest of all were the arms - staple gun fired hundreds of staples into the front panels of the sofa's arms to coax fabric into the required curves. But staple craziness is hidden beneath a solution which I may have invented: traced the shape of left and right arms' front panels, cut the shapes out of thin card, then wrapped and glued the fabric to the card, then glued the wrapped panels in position. Presto, no piping!

Like I said, it's not perfect but it's not bad.



3 comments:

Vincent said...

That looks perfect, congratulations on the flair & ingenuity involved.

Catalyst said...

Looks pretty darned good to me.

Natalie d'Arbeloff said...

Thanks Vincent, perfect it ain't (mustn't look too closely) but it works. What's for sure is that I wouldn't undertake this agin!

Bruce,yes it is pretty damned good, absolutely!